Monday, November 16, 2009

Pretty Pretty Peacocks

As you may have noticed from my previous post, I like peacocks. At first it was just ornaments...I was attracted to the wonderful feathers...the colors, the pattern, the air of royalty.  About 3 and half years ago I bought a pair of peacock feather earrings from ebay for 99 cents. At this time peacocks weren't that popular...you didn't really find peacock feathers at every turn. For a while I didn't collect many items, I knew I liked them but I wasn't obsessed....yet.
Then one Christmas my friend Katie and I were at one of those Christmas stores...you know the kind that was just a Halloween store 3 weeks before.  And low and behold we stumbled across a PEACOCK TREE....it was the most glorious thing I had ever seen. Something clicked in my brain and my obsession started. But I was a graduate student...so I bought one ornament and refrained from purchasing anything else.


The peacock that REALLY started it all. He was the topper of a small white Christmas tree on my night stand.


The next spring when I finished my thesis presentation my same friend bought me a wonderful gift: 


A hand painted wine glass-worthy of a finished thesis!

Now with the peacock obsession in full swing I decided to use the theme for some decoration in my home:


In my guest bathroom. On my nightstand.

 My friends and family quickly caught on. That summer I received peacock book ends and a specially made peacock card from my sister for my birthday.


At Christmas I collected many more peacock ornaments from the Secret Santa gift exchange at work. That ornament above is clipped to one of my office plants.
My husband may have even gotten me a peacock stuffed animal. Are we ever really too old for those? I think not!



Folkmanis hand puppet

Lately, I've seen those same earrings I bought years ago sell for $10. Today peacocks are MUCH more popular. Just in the past two months I bought a peacock feather brooch at Charlotte Russe, peacock candle accents at Home Goods, a peacock wreath at Michaels, and a small throw pillow at Target.




The truth is I love peacock themed items…obviously.  But I do have some exceptions. I don't like abstract items or things that are not peacock colored (blue, green, purple). I'm not particularly into collecting knick knacks or things that just take up space....so I am trying to keep it classy. I know it seems overwhelming because I just shared pictures of every peacock thing I own, but I think they are spread out around my home and it's not like have this ugly decal on my wall! 

Do you have something you're totally into and enjoy collecting? Something you used to like that everyone now gives you at every birthday and Christmas and that you're sort of over now? Let me know below! I love to hear for you :) 

5 comments:

  1. does that mean you're over peacocks? lol
    I guess it's more like you're over ducks, and have moved on to peacocks.

    Oh, and thanks for the shoutouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not over peacocks :) You're welcome! Why didn't you warn me how bad blogger is with formatting stuff?? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, what no more ducks? Anyway, the whole turtle thing. My dad nicknamed me that in high school and then the turtle stuff started pouring in. Most is packed away, but I have a select few out around the house (and in my car b/c I've always had a turtle in my car).

    Ps. I heart folkmanis puppets...I have two a large chocolate lab and a snail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Nanna gives me a snow globe/music box every year for Christmas. Not something I personally strive to collect...but a collection nonetheless. I also get pajamas from her every Christmas...does that count? I like your peacock decor :) Especially the wine glass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited that you started a blog! I just found it and have added it to my bookmarks so that when I make my blog-reading 'rounds' every morning, I'll check yours out too!

    As far as collecting things...ever since I've become an avid football fan, I seem to get Steelers 'stuff' every year for Christmas, which is great. There is some around the house, but I plan to confine it all to one room whenever we have an extra room to devote to sports. Other things I seem to get are cat things (towels, ornaments, nick-nacks). You know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete